Car Accident Compensation Lawyer in Virginia Beach
Compensation for Your Car Accident Claim
Car accidents can change the course of a victim’s life. Based in Virginia Beach, the law firm of Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C. has handled car accidents in the Tidewater community for over 30 years. We’ve seen careless drivers injure victims and those they hold dear. We know how difficult an injury can be. If you’ve been injured, our car accident attorneys will fight to protect you. That’s who we are.
It’s our goal to make sure that car accident injury victims get what they need: compassion, service, and compensation. Car accident victims turn to us when they need knowledgeable and compassionate lawyers. We’ve handled car accident claims just like yours and we know what it takes to get the compensation you need. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Car Accident Injury Compensation
In a car accident claim there may be three types of damages involved: economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages.
- Economic damages are those involving money such as the cost of a surgery, the cost to replace a car, or lost wages.
- Non-economic damages can be more challenging since they deal with the pain experienced by a victim.
- Punitive damages are damages ordered by a court in rare cases to punish a defendant and send a message to others.
Economic damages are a class of damages that others can easily assign a number to. They may include medical bills, property damage, loss of income, and other related losses. For example, a victim is injured when her car is hit by another driver. The victim receives $5,000 worth of medical treatment, and the cost to the repair her car is $3,000. In this case, the victim could clearly show $8,000 of economic damages.
Types of economic damages may include:
- Medical expenses, treatment, and rehabilitation. Hospital treatment, surgical bills, treatment, and rehabilitation can add up fast. Injuries may need immediate treatment or they may require ongoing treatment for years. These are classified as economic damages because it’s easy to see how much they cost: the medical provider will send a detailed bill with specific costs.
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity are types of economic damages. When someone has a job, they generally can predict how much they would make in a week. If a victim loses a week of work due to an accident, it’s easy to say how much income the victim lost. If the injuries will limit the victim’s ability to work in the future, the victim may also claim lost or reduced future earnings. The victim can submit these economic damages as a part of their claim.
- Property damage is economic damage because it can be easy to estimate repairs or replacement. For example, a victim’s car is damaged in an accident. A repair shop gives the victim a quote of $2,000 to repair the car. It’s a straightforward number that can easily be included as property damages.
Non-economic damages are a class of damages that deal with non-monetary injuries. It can be much harder to assign a number to them since they’re dealing with subjective conditions, but the losses are very real and worthy of compensation. Victims often suffer for years after injuries and it can be hard for them to put their pain into words. Non-economic damages may include pain and suffering, psychological harm, loss of enjoyment, and many other types of damages.
- For example, a victim’s face is disfigured after a traffic accident. The disfigurement cannot be repaired. The victim may spend years or a lifetime avoiding social activities due to embarrassment and low self-esteem. The accident has caused real and long-lasting harm to the victim that deserves compensation.
- Pain and suffering is a type of non-economic harm that can severely affect a victim’s life. An accident can transform a healthy member of the workforce into someone who lives with permanent disability and is dependent on others to live. This can have terrible effects on a victim. Depression, anxiety, and many other serious conditions can arise. They can lose the ability to participate in activities they love, and their relationships can suffer. In a case like this a victim’s life is harmed as a direct result from their injuries. How do you put a value on this? Judges and juries look to guidance from state laws, expert testimony, and the victim themselves. When proving pain and suffering damages, it’s important to show how the victim was before the accident and the lasting consequences of their injuries.
Punitive damages are the third type of damages that may be available in a car accident claim under rare circumstances. Punitive damages are intended to punish the person who caused an accident. They’re also intended to send a message to others who might engage in similar behavior. Punitive damages may be available for car accident cases in Virginia.
Under Virginia law, punitive damages may be available in injury cases when a defendant’s actions are, “deemed sufficiently willful or wanton as to show a conscious disregard for the rights of others”. In certain circumstances this can include dangerous conduct and drunk driving. It can be challenging to obtain punitive damages. Our lawyers are here to help give you the advice you need and help you build a convincing punitive damages case.
Car Accident Compensation Attorney in Virginia Beach: We’ll Fight for You
Car accidents can lead to a lifetime of loss. If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a car accident, it’s important to get the help you need as soon as you can. At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C., we’ve dealt with all types of car accidents. We know how tough they can be. We also know what types of compensation victims can and should recover.
We have represented car accident victims throughout in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake, and beyond. We’ve seen the injuries and effects car accidents have on clients and their families. We’ll work with insurers and authorities to make sure your voice is heard.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you need to focus on healing. We’ll handle the claim for compensation on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation.