Virginia Beach Product Liability Lawyers
Virginia Beach Product Liability Lawyers
Products should work as we expect them to and they shouldn’t hurt us. The trouble is sometimes they don’t meet those expectations. Safety features don’t work, defective wiring goes up in flames, and the products and promises we rely on fail us.
Defective products can cost you and your family everything. Whether it’s a household appliance, an automobile, prescription drugs, power tools, or any other product, it’s easy to be injured by someone else’s mistake.
At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C., our attorneys have decades of experience dealing with all types of product liability cases. We’ve represented clients in Virginia Beach and throughout the Tidewater area. We’re proud of our results. Our team has won upwards of $2 million in compensation for those injured by defective products.
With our resources, experience, and hard work, we’ll build the strongest case we can to get you the compensation you need. We pride ourselves on our hard work, our reputation, and our results. Let us put them to work for you.
Contact us now for a free claim review. We serve clients in in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake, and throughout Tidewater.
How Our Lawyers Investigate Defective Products
When we’re contacted with a product liability claim, we go to work immediately. Our team of personal injury lawyers works fast to secure all the information the claim needs.
Some people think that a products liability claim is straightforward, but the fact is in any products liability claim, there is a huge amount of information that needs to be assembled. When we investigate a defective product claim, we use our years of experience to build your claim.
Our Process Starts with You
- You are the most important person in the process and you are the one with the most important information. Our lawyers will begin by talking with you about your claim. We’ll ask you questions that are central to the claim, such as:
- Who was injured and how were they injured? We will gather medical bills, medical records, income records, and other documentation we need to show the injury and its effect. We’ll ask you how you were using the product and the circumstances around it. Your health and wellbeing are the most important things, and we want to make sure that we understand how your injury affected you.
- What is the product and what happened to it? We’ll need to know everything we can about the product. The packaging and condition of the product are important, and we’ll rely on you to describe the product as it was when you received it. We’ll ask you to describe the packaging, the product, and any included materials such as operating guides or advertisements. Operating guides and warnings are particularly important in claims where the dangers of a product are not obvious.
- How much did you know about the product before you bought it? Your prior experience with a product could affect your claim, and we’ll need to know how familiar you were with it. In our investigation, we also need to know if the product was advertised in a particular way or if the seller or manufacturer represented their product in a particular way.
- How did you receive the product? A product liability claim can depend on how you received the product. A claim where the victim buys the product from a salesman in a store may be different from a claim where the product was furnished by an employer. In some cases, the seller may make inaccurate representations about the product that can lead to injury. We’ll ask where and how you acquired the product and we’ll find out what the seller told you.
- What happened after the injury? Sometimes people injured in a product liability case dispose of the damaged product and only later realize their injuries. If possible, we’ll secure the product and any documentation that went along with it. We’ll examine the product and talk with you to understand the consequences of its use. We’ll also talk with you to understand how you responded to the incident. In a product liability claim we’ll need to know whether you spoke with the seller or manufacturer and the information you may have given them.
We want to help you. There are many steps to a product liability investigation and many details that need to be in place for your claim to succeed. We’ll thoroughly investigate your claim and work to understand your injuries.
Basis for Product Liability Claims
In Virginia, there are several ways to bring a product liability claim. We’ve outlined some of the major ones below. The basis for your claim will depend on the facts of your injury, but we hope this general information will help you. If you contact us regarding a product liability claim, our lawyers will work with you to prepare the best foundation for your claim.
- Negligence can cause you harm. When a company makes a product, it must make sure that it’s reasonably safe for its intended purpose and for reasonably foreseeable uses. This can include the design and manufacturing of a product. For example, if a company designs and manufactures an automobile, it must make sure that it is reasonably safe for driving in foreseeable conditions. In Virginia, if a product’s designer or manufacturer is negligent and causes defects, there may be a product liability claim available for your injury. Unlike many other states, Virginia does not use strict liability for determining defective product cases.
- Breaches of warranty are breaches of trust. When a manufacturer or a retail outlet sells you something, they often make promises about their products. They may say that it won’t break for a few years, they may say it works in certain conditions, they may say a lot of things expressly, or they may imply them. What they say about the products they sell can be warranties, and breach of a warranty can be a basis for your claim.
- Failure to warn can harm you. Most products should include information that warns the user about their dangers. This is particularly true when the product has non-obvious dangers. Manufacturers or sellers are often required to include information that details the safe operation and use of a product. Failure to do so can lead to property damage, injury, or even death.
It can be difficult to know if there is a basis for a product liability claim. Details matter, and our knowledgeable lawyers know what to look for. We can help you build your claim.
How Does a Product Liability Claim Work?
A product liability claim can be complex and confusing, but it will usually go through the steps below. Details matter here, and at every step our lawyers know how to handle your claim.
In a product liability claim, time is of the essence. This type of claim is built upon details – details that can fade over time. When you’ve been involved in an incident and want to pursue a product liability claim, you need to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Our lawyers know what evidence to gather, who to speak with, and how to move forward. We’ll protect your claim and preserve the essential details before they’re gone.
We’ll start investigating your claim immediately. We’ll talk with you to determine how and why you suffered damages. We’ll gather all the documents the claim needs: medical records, business records, manufacturing details, warranties, statements, and many other documents. We’ll also obtain expert analysis of the product and how it may be faulty. In some cases, an expert may even need to recreate the incident to show how the product may have failed.
For your claim to be as strong as possible, you’ll need a comprehensive record of the incident and professional analysis. We can help.
Building the Case
Once we have the details of the incident and the product involved, we can develop a legal strategy. We’ll determine the strongest legal basis for your case and we’ll back it up with our thorough investigation. We’ll make your claim as strong as possible and we’ll fight for the compensation you deserve.
Negotiations and Settlement
In many cases, manufacturers and sellers will settle product liability claims. They may try to lowball you, but we’ll have your back. Our experienced lawyers have years of negotiation experience. They know the law, and they will know your case. We’ll use our investigation and our years of experience to make sure any settlement gets you what you need.
If a seller or manufacturer won’t give you the compensation you need, we can take the claim to court. We have years of experience litigating product liability cases, and our trial lawyers have won upwards of $2 million in compensation for our clients. We know how to build a strong product liability case and we know how to win.
Compensation If You’ve Been Harmed by a Dangerous Product
When you’ve been harmed by a product you may be entitled to compensation from a manufacturer or seller. You can recover the actual damages you suffer. These damages fall into a few different areas:
- Property Damage. A faulty product can self-destruct or malfunction in a way that damages itself or other property. For example, a defectively wired product could start a fire that destroys your home, or a defectively designed tool could fly apart and damage your car. You could receive compensation for the product you bought and for the other losses under a product liability claim.
- Medical Expenses. Oftentimes it isn’t just other property that is damaged by defective products. It could be you or your family members. Many people sustain serious injuries from defective products and it’s important to remember your rights. Medical bills can pile up in no time and can drain your accounts dry. When long-term treatment is required, medical bills can be too much to bear. If you file a product liability claim you may be able to recover medical costs.
- Lost Income. A defective product can leave you out of work for days, months, or even for the rest of your life. A product liability claim can include the wages and income you lose in the short and long term.
- Pain and Suffering. Physical injuries and property damage aren’t the only possible outcomes from using a defective product. Stress and emotional damage can lead to a lifetime of injury.
- Punitive Damages. In some cases, a court may award punitive damages. These cases are usually those where a defendant’s behavior was particularly extreme. It’s important to know what you’re looking for in a case when punitive damages are involved.
The damages from a defective product can be severe and long-lasting. We know how to handle your claim and we’ll fight for you to get the compensation that you need.
How Long Do You Have to File?
For nearly all product liability claims in Virginia, you must bring a lawsuit within two years of the incident. It’s important to talk with a lawyer as soon as possible after the incident so that the lawyer can have the time they need to prepare your claim. If a defective product has caused you or your family damage reach out to a lawyer as soon as you can.
Hurt by a Defective Product? Contact a Virginia Beach Product Liability Lawyer Today!
In a product liability case, time counts. Don’t wait to file your claim.
Product liability claims are a challenge you don’t have to face alone. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will work quickly to build your claim and secure your rights. We’ll thoroughly investigate your claim and we’ll represent you with strength and integrity. That’s who we are.
Contact us by phone or fill out a contact form on our site to schedule a free, no-obligation, confidential consultation today.