You may not feel like you have much control over what happens after a serious motor vehicle accident. But there are steps you can take in the moments, days, and weeks after the crash to protect yourself and your personal injury claim. We recommend that you:
- See a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you don’t need to take an ambulance to the hospital, you should see a doctor right away. This will help ensure you get the treatment you need, and it will provide documentation of your injuries from the start.
- Call the police. Law enforcement officers will collect evidence from the scene and write an accident report that can prove helpful in building your claim.
- Get the contact information for the at-fault driver. You will need the person’s name, insurance information, and phone number. This will help your attorney begin the claims process. Also, be careful what you say to the other driver. Never apologize or make comments about fault, as these may be misconstrued later.
- Ask for contact information for any witnesses. You attorney can follow up with these people to discuss what they saw and find out whether they have any additional information. For example, a witness may have taken pictures of the scene or overheard the other driver admit to being distracted or drunk.
- Take photos of the crash scene and your injuries. Use phone apps and phone cameras to document the scene. If you are not able to do this, ask someone else at the scene to take photos and send them to you. You may also want to draw a diagram of how the crash happened to help you remember details later.
- Keep all receipts and bills related to the crash. Start a file immediately and save any paperwork that relates to your accident.
- Start a journal about how you are feeling. You should document how your injuries are affecting your everyday life. For example, are you missing out on family gatherings or other activities that you would typically attend? Do not be afraid to seek professional help if you need to talk to someone.
- Stay off social media. It’s natural these days to want to share your life on social media. Unfortunately, insurance companies can and will monitor what you post to see if there’s anything they can use against you. The best thing you can do is lay low until your claim is resolved.
If you or a loved one has been in a serious car accident in Portsmouth and needs to talk about your legal rights, contact our compassionate attorneys today. We are here to listen and guide you throughout this process.
Talk to an Experienced Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer Today
At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C., we care about what has happened to you and what you will need to heal from it. We will sit down with you to listen to your story and map out a strategy for moving forward. Our knowledgeable attorneys have helped countless car accident victims across Portsmouth. We have also stood strong for families pursuing wrongful death claims after fatal crashes.
If you are ready to move forward with your claim, or if you just want to talk, schedule a free consultation with our legal team today. We are here to help. Our Portsmouth law firm also offers criminal defense, medical malpractice, motorcycle accident, slip and falls, and product liability legal services.