Motorcycle Accident Causes in Virginia Beach
As exhilarating as motorcycles are to ride, they are equally devastating when they crash. Even when wearing a helmet and protective clothing, the rider has little protection from injury. An impact with another vehicle or the road often results in catastrophic injuries or could be fatal.
There are many reasons that motorcycles may crash, but the most difficult ones to comprehend are those caused by someone else’s negligence. When an innocent motorcyclist is hurt because another driver or other entity failed to exercise caution or act responsibly, the victim and their family have a right to demand answers and justice.
If you’ve suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident in greater Virginia Beach area that was someone else’s fault, it is important that you consult with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.
For over three decades, Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C. has handled motorcycle accident cases in Virginia Beach and throughout the Tidewater area of Virginia. Our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for accident victims.
We know how to handle your motorcycle accident injury claim and how to fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call us or contact us online now for a free confidential consultation.
Factors That Result in Motorcycle Accidents in Virginia Beach
Many motorcycle accidents are not the fault of the motorcyclist, but other drivers. Common factors in motorcycle crashes include:
- Drivers fail to see the motorcycle. When drivers are looking for larger passenger vehicles, they often fail to notice motorcycles in traffic. Many crashes happen when motorists make left-hand turns into oncoming motorcycles, or when they pull out of side streets or parking lots right into the paths of motorcyclists.
- Drivers misjudge how fast a motorcyclist is traveling. Because motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, it is a common error of motorists to misjudge their speed and pull out in front of them or change lanes into them.
- Drivers fail to check their blind spots. Because of their relatively small size, motorcycles can disappear in a driver’s blind spot. A driver who fails to turn their head and check their blind spot can cut off a motorcycle when changing lanes.
- Distracted driving. Motorists who are distracted from driving by texting, talking on the phone, or fiddling with the radio, among other distractions, are a hazard to other drivers on the road, especially motorcyclists. Texting while driving, in particular, is extremely dangerous because it requires the driver’s manual, visual, and mental attention.
- Hazardous roads. Road defects or damaged roads such as potholes or loose gravel can lead to motorcycle crashes.
These are just a few of the common factors that lead to a motorcycle accident. Motorcycle accidents cases can be complicated – another reason why you need legal representation if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle crash. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will be able to conduct an investigation of your accident and gather the facts and evidence necessary to prove that your crash was the fault of someone else.
10 Commonly Reported Types of Virginia Beach Motorcycle Accidents
There are many different types of motorcycle crashes, and most of them involve negligence on the part of passenger vehicle drivers. Below are 10 of the most common types of motorcycle accidents:
- Blind Spot Accidents
- Left-Turn Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Failure-To-Yield Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Speeding Accidents
- Crashes When Sharing Lanes
- Distracted Driver Crashes
- Head-on Collisions
- T-Bone Crashes
If you have been injured in one of the motorcycle accident on this list – or any other one not included – through no fault of your own, contact an experienced Virginia Beach motorcycle accident attorney today. You may be able to recover damages for your injuries.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Virginia Beach
Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable motorists on the roadways. Below are some common injuries that can occur as a result of a motorcycle crash.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – A traumatic brain injury occurs when a blow, jolt, or bump to the head leads to brain damage. The most common form of TBI is a concussion. Symptoms of a concussion include short-term memory loss, temporary loss of consciousness, and headache. In some cases, the effects of TBI can last a lifetime and result in permanent disability.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries can cause a wide range of issues, including lost feeling in the limbs or even complete paralysis. A bruised spine or slipped disc can occur from a fall, while the more serious spinal cord injuries are usually due to contact with a fixed or large object, such as a passenger vehicle, tree, or guard rail.
- Leg Injury – Injuries to not only the leg, but also to the knees and feet are common. While these types of injuries typically do not result in death, the injury could become something much worse, if not permanently disabling, over time. Examples of injuries to the lower extremities include broken or shattered leg, knee, and feet. These injuries often include cuts, scrapes, or road rash due to skidding. Severe bruising can also occur.
- Biker’s Arm – This term refers to injuries that occur when a motorcycle rider is thrown forward and attempts to use their arms to reduce the impact. Biker’s arm can result in permanent nerve damage to the arms or upper body.
- Road Rash – When a rider makes contact with the road during a crash, severe skin abrasions called “road rash” can occur. Victims are susceptible to serious infections and permanent scarring, not to mention severe pain.
- Muscle Damage – Muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue in the legs, arms, and other parts of the body can be damaged. Physical therapy and other forms of rehabilitation are commonly needed to repair soft tissue damage.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Virginia Beach
At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C., we understand the serious consequences a motorcycle accident can have on the victim’s life. For over 30 years, our team of Virginia Beach motorcycle accident attorneys has represented victims injured in many types of accidents.
We assist motorcycle accident victims in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton and Chesapeake, and throughout the Tidewater area. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, reach out to Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C. on our website or by calling us today to schedule a free confidential consultation.