Slip and Fall Lawyers in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
When you slip and fall, your life can change in an instant. You could be seriously injured. It’s important to work fast and get the help you need – both medical and legal. At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C, we’ve handled slip and fall cases for over 30 years. We know how to protect you and your rights after a fall that causes serious injury.
In a slip and fall injury claim, our personal injury lawyers will fight for you and your recovery. We’ll work with you to build a strong and persuasive claim to get you the compensation you need. We handle the insurance companies and those responsible so you don’t have to. Healing is your priority. Our priority is you.
Contact us today for a free case review that comes with no obligations. We represent slip and fall victims throughout the Tidewater area, including Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake and beyond.
How a Lawyer Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Slip and fall accidents may seem like simple claims, but they can be surprisingly complex. How and where did the accident occur? Who created the dangerous conditions? Who was responsible for the property? Did anyone know about the danger? You must address these questions and many more before a slip and fall claim can succeed. An experienced lawyer from Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C will be able to handle the complexity of a case like this. We’ll manage the documents that the claim needs. We’ll negotiate with the other side, and if needed, we’ll fight for you in court.
- What seems like a simple claim can pull in video footage, expert reports, insurance policies, medical reports, bills, and many other documents. The other side may resist producing documents, and it can be difficult to get what you need. A lawyer knows what documents are essential to move your case forward. There’s no need for you to gather documents or go through the hassle of organizing them for a claim when we’re involved. Our team of experienced lawyers has handled many slip and fall claims, and we know how to get what your claim needs.
- Negotiations with a property owner or an insurance company are not something to take lightly. Often, insurance companies lowballs injury victims with a quick offer. People who are injured and need compensation quickly sometimes take the offer because they feel like they can’t do better. The truth is that a lawyer can help ensure you receive fair compensation for all your losses. Too many people assume that when insurance companies make an offer, the offer is fair. A lawyer understands that insurers are doing what is best for their interests, not yours. Our lawyers have years of experience negotiating and settling slip and fall claims. We know how to evaluate your claim, negotiate, and fight for the compensation that you deserve.
- We know how to handle a slip and fall claim in court. Slip and fall trials require knowledge, experience, and a lot of hard work. If the people responsible for a slip and fall won’t settle, you may have to go to court to pursue the compensation that you deserve. An experienced slip and fall lawyer will build the case by pulling together all the necessary records, crafting arguments, and building a legal strategy.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Who is responsible for a slip and fall accident? It’s a tougher question than you may think. Sometimes it isn’t easy to determine who was responsible for your accident, and there could be several classes of owners and renters involved.
A slip and fall claim must show who was responsible for the conditions that led to the accident. The claim will have to show that there was a dangerous condition that the responsible party created and knew about (or should have known about). Their failures can create danger for you and those you love.
The following are some examples of parties who could be at fault for a slip and fall accident:
- Residential Property Owners – Residential property owners are responsible for their homes and the conditions on their property. As a guest, you have a duty to watch where you’re walking, but the property owners also have a responsibility to keep their premises reasonably safe for you. If you slip and fall on someone else’s property, you may need to file a claim with their homeowner’s insurance.
- Commercial Property Owners – Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but they happen quite frequently on commercial properties such as stores, restaurants, office buildings and hotels. With so many people traveling through, negligence and failure to maintain a commercial property can easily lead to painful accidents. When a slip and fall accident happens on commercial premises, the owner may be responsible. It’s up to them to be aware of their facilities and make reasonable efforts to discover and correct problems.
- Property Managers – Property managers are hired to maintain property on behalf of someone else. They may be responsible for the slip and fall accident if they were negligent in their duties or failed to maintain the property in some other way.
- Business Owners – Sometimes businesses rent their property, and sometimes they own it outright. Business owners may be responsible for a dangerous condition on their rented property, or they may be jointly liable with a property owner. Businesses have responsibilities to their customers and should make sure that their goods and their facilities don’t create dangerous conditions.
- Government – The government, like any other entity, can be responsible for conditions that cause a slip and fall. Claims against the government can be challenging, but they are possible. Whether you slip and fall on government property or an unreasonably dangerous sidewalk, for example, there may be ways to obtain compensation for your injuries. Talk with a lawyer about the best ways to move forward.
Compensation for Slip and Fall Accidents in Virginia
- Medical bills can pile up as a result of your injury. A slip and fall can result in broken bones, nerve damage, brain damage, back injuries, and many other injuries. In some slip and fall accidents, injury treatment can be quick. In others, treatment and rehabilitation may last a lifetime. Regardless of how long treatment lasts, medical costs can go through the roof. Even a basic medical evaluation can set a victim back hundreds of dollars. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, make sure you seek compensation for the treatment you need.
- Lost income can drain you. After a slip and fall case, you may be out of work for days or week. In the worst cases, you may be out of work for the rest of your life. Slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries that may impact your ability to earn, both now and in the future. A slip and fall claim can include damages to compensate you for your time out of work.
- Pain and suffering are real injuries. Slip and fall accidents hurt and there can be long-term consequences from your injury. But not all pain is physical. The stress and anguish of a slip and fall accident can lead to anxiety, depression, and many other serious psychological conditions. When pursuing a slip and fall claim, a lawyer can help you determine the compensation you should receive for your pain and suffering.
How to Protect Your Rights in a Slip and Fall Claim
- Get the medical care and evaluation you need. In some accidents, people have obvious injuries that need immediate attention. In others, injuries may be hidden and will only surface later on. If you’re involved in a slip and fall accident, get the immediate medical attention you need. Visit a hospital or a doctor for evaluation and treatment. They’ll document your condition and provide an important piece of evidence for your claim.
- Collect important details, like photos of the accident scene and witness contact information. If possible, you or someone you trust should take photos of the accident scene and get the contact information for anyone who saw you slip and fall. Write down the date, time, and location of the accident for future reference. A slip and fall claim depends upon these types of details to succeed.
- Notify the owner or operator that you were injured. Don’t wait to notify the owner of the premises or the operator of the business. If you and slip and fall, they need to know right away. Stick to the facts of the accident and stay calm. It’s understandable to be angry when you’re injured in an accident, but remember that what you say could be brought up later.
- Work with your doctor to get the treatment you need. Injuries may require long-term treatment and monitoring. It’s important that you stick to your doctor’s treatment plan. Go to scheduled appointments and report any pain that may arise from your injuries. The doctor’s records and your treatment will be an essential part of your claim.
Contact Us for Legal Help with Your Slip and Fall Claim
At Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C, we know how badly slip and fall accidents can hurt. Representing you and your needs is our highest priority. We can help you build your claim and pursue the compensation you need.
We’ll advocate for you with strength and integrity. With over 30 years of experience serving slip and fall victims, we know how to build a solid case to seek the outcome you need.
Slip and fall claims are built on detailed records, legal knowledge, and a lot of hard work. Let us handle your claim while you heal. Contact Ruloff, Swain, Haddad, Morecock, Talbert & Woodward, P.C today, we work on a contingency fee, meaning we don’t get paid if you don’t! Call us or contact us online for a free claim review and legal advice about your best options for recovery.